Sunday, March 30, 2014

30 March 2014  6:16p
"One God Further"

This is my first (and possibly only) polemic.  I'm probably alienating half of the people who have even bothered to open this blog in the first place, but so it goes...

As Richard Dawkins and other New Atheists have posited before, most people are atheists with respect to most gods proposed over the millennia.  Lawrence Krauss, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens (when he was still alive) pointed out that atheists go beyond disbelieving stories of Zeus, Thor, and Titan, and go all the way to those myths that have perpetuated to this day:  Jesus, Yahweh, and Mohammad (though the last can be said to be merely a prophet).

I am, for all intents an purposes, an atheist.  Logistically, I am, when it comes down to it, an agnostic.  At the heart of all atheists (at least the ones I've spoken with), including myself, there is a scientific curiosity and personal modesty that allows for the possibility that there is a Supreme Being (Monty Python notwithstanding).  But such an Entity must be unlike what human religions have formulated and postulated thus far.  Such a Being would have the intelligence and patience to understand the skepticism met by the suggestion of Its existence among at least some of Its creations, especially those which It has endowed with a greater amount of intelligence than others.

How can a Supreme Being find fault with creatures (its own creations, no less) who, when introduced to the notion that there is something that is not observable, express disbelief?  This flavor of skepticism would, at least as far as my imagination allows, make such a Supreme Being quite proud (if It can feel Pride at all) of Its achievement of a logical, rational creation who takes nothing for granted, including the existence of its own Creator.

Enough for now.


2 comments:

  1. Nancy, you simply haven't taken into account the psychopathic nature of this supreme being, as revealed in so-called holy writ. When I first heard the story of Abraham and Isaac in Sunday school at age 6 or 7, my first thought was that this being I was being exhorted to worship and adore was a bit of a shit (okay, the word "shit" wasn't then in my vocabulary), and I have not changed my opinion, though I long, long ago stopped believing that the being had any more of a real existence than Winnie the Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the part of me that has a hard time believing in any supreme being lies aghast at the spectre of an evil supreme being. But maybe you are right. This could all be a cosmic Joke.

    ReplyDelete