Monday, April 28, 2014

Say, That Reminds Me...

Okay, okay, I will freely admit that my memory is atrocious.  The fact is, I depend on others to help me remember lots of details (like passwords for websites and bank ATM PINs).  The trouble is, there are just so many passwords that I'd come up with a system, but the system fails once I have to change a password, because they're not inherently sequential (ie, PassWord01, PassWord02, etc.).  For most websites, I just use the name of the website/company, adding a number if a number is required, and capitalizing the name if an uppercase letter is required.  There is one four-digit number sequence which I've designated my "ATM PIN," which I intend to use for every ATM card until it gets hacked or stolen.  Then I'll be up the creek as far as making up a new one.

I opened three new accounts at Kat's credit union (two savings and one checking) because I intend to move my finances from BoA over the next weeks.  The only catch is that my safe deposit box just renewed, so it'd be almost another whole year before I can close that without loss.  In the process of opening the new checking account at the credit union, the woman who was setting up the account had me enter a PIN for my ATM card.  She said that the credit card comes with a four-digit number as well, but that it's usually better and easier to just have the computer randomize one for me because making up another one might end up being confusing.  I concurred, and so am awaiting my new credit card, which will actually not be another VISA (I currently hold a VISA and a Discover).  I don't plan to make cash withdrawals with my credit cards, anyway, so it's unlikely that I'll need to remember my credit card's four-digit code for using at ATMs.  In this way, I've been making things much easier on myself by avoiding things that require memorization.

Soon I'll take the SCUBA Enriched Air Course, in which I'll need to memorize some formulae for figuring partial pressures based on depth and percentage of gases in the mix.  The concept of partial pressures makes sense, if I think about it enough.  A common Nitrox mix is composed of 32% oxygen, 67% nitrogen, and one per cent of something like carbon dioxide.  There are "tri-mixes," to which helium is added in so that the percentage of nitrogen is lowered, thus cutting the risk of nitrogen narcosis while avoiding oxygen toxicity.  But that's all for me ahead, next month, right before my trial (and it will be a trial, I'm sure).

Thinking about the trial, I'm glad that it's amidst enjoyable events, because then it'll be a blip instead of the dreaded, drawn-out debacle from which the court system seems to take pleasure.  This is because it (the court system) wants to schedule things along its own pace, not necessarily in accordance with the accused's right to a speedy trial.  It's taken long enough.  I'm glad it'll be over in a few weeks.

Right.  The fumigation will take place one week from tomorrow, so Kat and I'll be packing up foodstuffs, double bagging everything in big plastic bags in order to keep them "safe" from the fumigation gas.  I looked up the chemical online, and it looks like it attacks the nervous system, but the description leaves out details, like how an animal actually dies after inhaling the killer gas.  It just makes me sad that we haven't found Buddy, Kat's ball python, for weeks now (he'd disappeared shortly after I'd gone with Peter to San Francisco in mid-March).  Given that snakes can hide themselves very well, it's sad and somewhat ironic, I suppose, that by hiding, Buddy's writing his own death warrant...

Tomorrow, I will pick up my first box from my new CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture), or subscription farm.  I read their description of themselves, and I like the fact that they're very local, located right here in San Diego.  The only thing I hadn't noticed while reading their literature is that I think they grow only veggies, not fruit, so we'll still need to procure fruit from supermarkets, which isn't too bad, I suppose, since I like the fresh and dried fruit from Sprouts, anyway.

It's getting late.  I'll close up for tonight, and maybe write something more substantial tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment