Monday, May 5, 2014

eBay, PayPal, and Buyers' Protection

I'll start with a simple, yet delicious recipe for green globe squash, which I received in my recent CSA share:

1 globe green summer squash (resembles a globular zucchini)
small handful fresh basil (about four or six large leaves)
3-4 large cloves fresh garlic
1/2 t salt
2 T unsalted butter

Cut off stem end of squash.  cut lengthwise (as much as it has a length - you know wheat I mean) into quarters, then cut off the bloom end scar from each quarter.  slice into chunks between 1/8" and 1/4" thick.
Julienne the basil leaves.  Chop the garlic coarsely.
Heat small nonstick nonreactive pan.
Add butter to hot pan and tilt to spread.
Add garlic, and cook, on medium heat, until fragrant.  Add basil leaves, and allow to cook about a half minute longer.  Add squash in a single layer, if you can, and allow to cook for about thirty seconds to one minute, until the squash looks shiny.  Turn over the squash, basil leaves, and garlic so that the basil and garlic are on top, and the second broad side of the squash slices faces downward.  Sprinkle salt over everything, then allow to cook just about thirty seconds longer for the squash to brown on its second side (this really doesn't take very  long at all).  Serve immediately.

This squash can be artfully eaten with chopsticks, as Kat and I did last night, with steamed and buttered green beans.

Is it obvious that we're trying to empty the kitchen and have limited access to ingredients?  I need to remember to bring the remainder of the butter that I just opened to Peter's to use while we're staying there.  My cream cheese and chunks of eating cheese are already there.

Tonight, I will take Kat to Oki Ton Japanese restaurant off Fenton Parkway (near the IKEA) here in San Diego.  It's a little bit of a drive, but I've got a voucher to use and I might as well use it for this.  Peter was coming with us, but it turns out he has a meeting with the PowPAC people to hand off their website administration, as he's administered it for a number of years now and I guess he's ready to let that part of his involvement go.

It won't be the first time Kat and I will be having dinner out together by ourselves, but since we don't eat out often, I'd like it to be a fun evening before we have to vacate our flat in the morning.

Almost two weeks ago, I'd received, in the mail, a new dive computer that I'd won on eBay.  I dove with it this past Sunday at the Shores, and realized that the depth gauge was not working, as it kept registering me on the surface even though I was down at 17 feet (I was doing some hovering exercises at different depths).  So I'm sending it back.  Took it to the post office this morning in the box in which I'd originally received my medication this month from an online pharmacy.

I've already ordered another (used) dive computer from another vendor.  Same brand and model.  Still doesn't come with a download cable, but I can use the one that Peter has.  I'm already planning to test the new-to-me Suunto Vyper this weekend, as it's supposed to arrive in the post on Friday.  It's just as well for me to wait 'til the weekend, even though traffic & parking will be more challenging in La Jolla then, rather than take the new computer on a night dive before then.

So I appealed my refund with PayPal, whom I'd contacted almost immediately after buying the nonfunctioning computer.  This afternoon, I already received a positive response.  The refund should be credited to my account, bringing down my balance to just the second computer I'd bought (also on eBay).  At least for this second computer, shipping was free...

So even though it might take a few days for all the payments/crediting to settle, I'm satisfied that I was able to get a refund.  So in my case, the Buyers' Protection was triggered and worked.  The only disappointment is the wait time on hold when one phones in, but that's pretty standard these days, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Fortunately, with this transaction, ebay and paypal also protected the seller from a difficult buyer who did not read the clearly written listing or follow the rules.

    You received a working computer, then immediately sent a message asking for a data cable that was not offered in the listing. The next day, you claimed that the computer didn't work, left negative feedback and opened a case with ebay. Some days later, you sent a message asking for a longer wrist strap (for a "nonfunctioning" dive computer that you were planning to return?), which made no sense. We waited for the computer to be sent back by the timeline that you were given by paypal in order for them to transfer the money they were holding back to you. That period of time passed, so they paid what was owed to the seller. You are fortunate that paypal also decided to return your money after the deadline passed as you clearly didn't understand the concept of this process.

    We did receive the returned dive computer, and it did turn on (something you claimed it did not do when you received it) and all of the buttons responded, just as they did prior to being shipped to you. Unfortunately, positive feedback was given to you prior to all of the difficulties of this sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Kevin, if it were a working computer, I would NOT have sent it back. Test it in some water deeper than your bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I second that; check the depth sensor (you know, the bit that makes it a DIVE computer). Also your little bit of revisionist history there not only is untrue, it doesn't even make sense. The first complaint and negative feedback was because the computer had a broken wrist strap (not mentioned in the description or shown in the photographs) which made it too short to be used with a dry suit. Despite your refusal to deal with that, we decided to get a new strap and use the computer anyway. Nancy dived the computer at the first opportunity and it did not work, which apart from ruining a dive day, just confirmed our negative opinion of you and led to the return and demand for repayment.

    ReplyDelete