Wednesday, September 3, 2014

SDNA&A Mixer and Drysuits

This morning, I came home around 9:30 am because my friend, Liz, was scheduled to come over at eleven so that we could start the process of making dough for grassini before an appointment she had from one to two.  First, we needed to decide how much to make, and settled on a half-recipe, which produced about four and a quarter pounds of dough.  Let me tell you that that amount of dough makes a LOT o breadsticks, especially as narrow as Liz was cutting them.  The first ones were taller than they were wide, then they evened into something more like a rounded square in section.  For the last sheet, I asked her to cut them pretty wide, something between three-eighths and a half inch wide.  She complied.  I'm experimenting with using nutritional yeast as added flavor, and I'm waiting to find out how they came out.  The ones we made with grated Parmesan, with sesame seeds (though these keep falling off, much to my disappointment), with the Korean mushroom seasoning I'd found at the market on the border between Kearny Mesa and Claremont, with just kosher salt, and without anything (just the rosemary-tainted extra virgin olive oil) all came out pretty tasty.  I'm waiting for the ones with nutritional yeast to cool enough to try one.

So much for my low-carb diet.

Peter is diving tonight.  I think tomorrow he might take his drysuit to the DUI (Diving Unlimited International) manufactory to see about repairs.  The price for the repairs, including replacement of the zipper, will run something like $600, compared to $2000 for a new drysuit, so Peter's going to keep using the one he has.  The fabric is worn thin.  In many places, light shows through pinholes which he then patches with a blob of Aquaseal.

My dive knife is still missing, as it's not at DUI and it's not at the dive shop where I brought it in for the new neck seal.  That reminds me that my wrist seals, which I've only dove with maybe a dozen times, appear to be deteriorating (at least one of them).  They are latex, which breaks down if exposed to sunlight or extreme heat, like being left in a parked car.  I don't think I've been exposing the suit to extreme conditions, so I suspect that the seals might just not be of very good quality.  I'm considering the idea of replacing the current seals with silicone ones as well.  I'll have them priced out before deciding, as there's still some life left in the latex ones.  My drysuit itself is in excellent condition.  It's made of a very durable fabric, thicker than Peter's.  I suspect that might be due to its relative "newness" and that it may not have been worn very many times by its previous owner.  And it had been very well-maintained.

Last night, Peter, Kat, and I attended the SDNA&A "Getting to Know You" mixer at Kous Kous, a Moroccan restaurant in Hillcrest.  I saw some people whom I'd met previously, and met a few new members.  Some of my friends are also longtime members of SDNA&A and were in attendance.

I talked one new member, Neil, into attending the sushi dinner I'll be hosting in about a week and a half.  I did not talk with him for very long.  He was friendly, and I look forward to seeing him again and getting to know him better.

A young man whom I met last night goes by the name Kyle.  He told me his "story," which started with the worst headache of his life and finished with him graduating college after having had two brain surgeries and radiation therapy to rid him of cancer.  He let me feel the scar hidden by his hair on the top of his head.

Betsy, a member we've known for years, and Kyle came to Tapas Picasso, a Spanish restaurant, to have dinner with Peter, Kat, and me.  We ordered all sorts of tapas to share, and the food was excellent.  I wrote a review for TripAdvisor.


No comments:

Post a Comment