Friday, October 17, 2014

Follow-up on the Making of Truffles and Puffs

My hands were, indeed, coated with chocolate ganache after I completed making about a dozen and a half truffles, each measuring about one and a half to two teaspoons.  I coated all of them in unsweetened cocoa, not using the confectioners' sugar at all.  Kat complained that there were none with confectioners' sugar, so I might make some more truffles, using confectioners' sugar to coat them, over the coming weekend, or something like that.  I don't want to keep too many truffles around, though, as they'll just take up space in the fridge...

The puffs came out all right, though not great.  They managed to puff somewhat, but after I told Kat how hard it was to get the batter into the bag for piping, she agreed that it's a two-person job.  Perhaps she'll help me make puffs next time, then.

For now, I've got truffles in the fridge, half of a pecan pie in a tart pan, and flatbreads/breadsticks in a large Ziploc baggie, all waiting to be consumed.  I've also got some food in the freezer, waiting to be cooked and eaten.  I'd purchased them for mornings when I don't have time to prepare something fresh, so Kat can just pop one or two scallion pancakes into the egg pan (20 cm diameter) for breakfast.

We also have, in the freezer (I hope the freezing process doesn't kill their texture), Chinese taro cake and turnip cake, each of is to be sliced up and pan-fried.  They take more time, as they'll need plenty of time to thaw before being sliced, and then the slices need pan frying.  So perhaps I'll thaw one of them, slice it, and then freeze the slices individually so that they'll be ready to cook for breakfast on that odd morning when I don't have time to cook and Kat's not in the mood for the scallion pancakes...

Can you tell I'm in a really big culinarily-inspired mood?

No comments:

Post a Comment