Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Year is a Week Old

It's been 2015 for just over a week now.  One week ago at this time, I was on my way to Heathrow, where I'd hang out in the BA Lounge before taking the long flight back to Las Vegas.  From there, Peter and I boarded the last flight of the day that Southwest runs from Last Vegas to San Diego.  It was a very full flight.  In fact, I think it was completely full.  I was glad that Peter was able to claim enough space in the overhead compartment for my suitcase, as he is one of their regular business flyers and boards first on every flight.  I was one of the last on the plane, with perhaps five or six people behind me, because I had not checked into the flight by phoning the day ahead. I'd forgotten about the phone check-in system they use.  I just happened to get lucky.
Today, I am 44 years old. Last night, I stopped into Target to buy shampoo and conditioner for Kat. When I attended the weekly meeting of the San Diego Boardgames Group at Fuddrucker's, I told my friends that I was marking another year's existence. One friend asked me if I dyed the grey hair I found recently. I said no, it's about time I looked my age, especially since I have a teenage daughter; I should probably look like the parent of a teen, whatever that means...
Played card games, starting with Crazy Rummy (progressive Rummy game, with a different “meld” for each hand), which took a while, then Oh Hell, a trick-taking game, which was fun, even though I didn't come terribly close to Rich, the scorekeeper, who won, of course!  Missed Theresa, who recently took a second shift job at a telemarketing firm. I think it's in a building I've seen, located on the route of a bus that I take to go downtown.
This morning, I baked a small batch (6) of whole wheat/flax/coconut muffins for breakfast. Kat chopped a couple handfuls of dried cherries to mix into the batter. We used the clotted cream, which I'd brought back from the BA lounge in London and had been keeping in the fridge, to top the muffins. I read how to make clotted cream, and it sounds like it would not be terribly hard to accomplish. Just takes time...
I just checked the cookie jar and there's still about a dozen cookies left, so I don't actually need to do any baking today; I'm just in a baking mood. I'm sure I'll get more inspiration when I pick up this week's CSA share.

I will go to Liz's flat to make Meyer lemon curd ice cream this afternoon. I'm really excited. She'd baked a pound cake to go with the ice cream, as well, so I'll have a “proper” birthday, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment