Saturday, May 16, 2015

Mushroom Ketchup - My Version of it, at least...

I bought a small crate (the kind that usually comes with about a dozen to fourteen mangoes in it) of oyster mushrooms this week from Ranch 99 (on Clairemont Mesa Blvd, between Kearny Mesa and Clairemont). First, I thought, super, mushroom soup! So I made a batch of mushroom soup, with purple potatoes, a red onion, and Pacific (brand) vegetable stock I'd bought from Sprouts. So I looked online and decided to make mushroom ketchup. Found a couple recipes online, and made something based on both but limited by neither. It's simmering away on the stove right, now, adding to the overwhelmingly vinegary scent of our flat. When it concentrates enough to fit into a single bottle (right now it's probably about one and a half bottle's worth, I'll bottle it (again), then pop it in the fridge to keep. Fortunately, it's supposed to keep for a pretty long time in the fridge, which is great. My friend, Liz, whom I'd texted about it, replied, "Instant umami!" which is true. I'm looking forward to using it! Here's the version I created out of the two I found online: 2 lbs. oyster mushrooms (a good amount volumetrically, as they weight practically nothing) plenty of salt (I used a combination of regular table sea salt and flake kosher) 2 t. whole white peppercorns 1 t. ground thyme 1 t. ground cloves 2 c. apple cider vinegar 1 c. apple juice (clarified apple cider, essentially) 1 1/2 T. minced fresh garlic 3 bay leaves 1/4 t. red pepper flakes 1/2 t. celery seeds 1 t. dried basil one whole white onion, thinly sliced Chop the mushrooms and salt liberally. Allow to sit in a cool place for six hours. After the mushrooms have sat for that time, bring to a boil the remaining ingredients for thirty minutes. As the salted mushrooms to the liquid and simmer for about thirty minutes. Allow mushroom ketchup to steep overnight. Strain ketchup through cheesecloth that has been dampened. Boil the ketchup until desired pungency is reached. Bottle and refrigerate ketchup. It's just about reduced enough to add flavor, so I'll allow it to boil just for a few minutes more, then bottle it and let it cool before popping it into the fridge. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment