Friday, July 3, 2015

Two in One Day!

This morning, I am spending some time doing some more domestic chores before the day begins.  I poured into the stainless bowl of my KitchenAid:
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/4 c. room temp. water
1/4 c. EVOO
2 t. table salt
2 t. dry active yeast

And set it on "Stir" (the slowest setting) for several minutes until the dough came together in one, large, cohesive lump, thrown around the bowl by the hook.

I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap, and set it aside to rise for a few hours until I decide whether I feel energetic enough to turn it into grissini.  The last batch of grissini I made, topped with the Japanese rice seasonings and nutritional yeast, was all but finished off by Kat (she left me a single small one in the baggie).  I guess that means she likes those toppings...

I still have some of the cheddar shortbread that I'd baked the other morning.  It's the dry half of the batter, since I'd neglected to add milk to that half of the batter before baking it.  I added half of the amount of milk, as heavy cream, since I don't have dairy milk, to the remaining batter, along with some additional shredded cheddar, prior to forming it into a log and rewrapping it in plastic and placing it in the fridge to chill.  When we finish the crumbly half of this batch of shortbread, I'll bake up the remaining batter and then we can have the recipe as originally written (I've included the recipe in a past entry here, many months ago now).

I am trying to decide which direction to head toward, in terms of what to pursue with DoR (Department of Rehabilitation) support, now that my medical records have been (or I assume have been) finally transferred from my GP's office to the DoR which indicate why it is that I actually qualify for "head-of-the-line" services from the Department.  I will phone the Art Institute today to see if they offer fellowships or loans for students, as that will likely determine which path I take, since I really don't want any more student debt in my life (at least not from my own education).  

The DoR requires an aid recipient to take loans prior to financial assistance for any educational track.  I'd learned, from a man I'd met at a Meetup held in Hillcrest, that his DoR counselor knew someone who had internships (like apprenticeships) for people looking at culinary careers, so that was how he pursued his return to the workforce in that industry.  The Organizer of that Meetup, also, told me that there are many jobs available for people in culinary fields, including, of course, high-end retail restaurants, but also other food service occupations, commercial and institutional cooks and bakers, and private chefs who can concentrate on individual needs of fewer clients.

So it looks more and more like I might be pursuing something about which I feel passionately, gaining more knowledge so that I might actually stat earning a living doing something that I already enjoy spending time doing anyway.  Besides, it might present me with the opportunity to actually gain burn scars from a job rather than recreational activities!

Peter and I are planning a trip to Baja California (Cabo Pulmo, specifically) for our vacation this summer (hopefully, next month).  We looked at a couple of places to stay, and looked at the website for a dive operator who takes people out into the Sea of Cortez for diving.  The only potential disappointment is that the whale sharks will not be visiting at this time of year since they come during the shoulder seasons, mostly, which is not now.

Peter gave me a small nonstick springform pan, with which I can bake a single-serve cheesecake, made with probably a single brick of cream cheese (at most), one egg, and maybe one or two other ingredients.  I'll find a cheesecake recipe and scale it down.  It'll be a very cute cake, indeed.

I was looking at the Goodwill store in Poway (which seems to be very well visited by shoppers) at a couple of sugar bowls for Peter, as he currently does not have one and I take sugar in my coffee.  I fantasized about using some cylindrical cups and bowls for soufflés, but then realized that I already have a set of six ceramic dishes that I'd bought specifically for making flans and soufflés.  The only problem with soufflés is that they absolutely have to be made immediately prior to consumption, so it appears that I won't be making any of them anytime too soon.

So I'm thinking about making a little ricotta cheesecake, possibly, with the little springform pan.  It'd be really, really cute, for sure!  The upside-down cake I baked yesterday morning is halfway eaten, so I'll have space for it, at least (fortunately or unfortunately, that is)... 

No comments:

Post a Comment