Saturday, June 21, 2014

Community Choice Energy

This morning, I attended a meeting with three San Diego groups:  SanDiego350, Sierra Club San Diego, Friends of San Diego Clean Energy, and the San Diego Chapter of the California Solar Energy Industries Association.  In attendance were about a hundred people.  The morning was opened by a short welcome from San Diego 350.org's Bob Braaton, who essentially "witnessed" to us his epiphany when he came face to face with a hummingbird in his back yard.


Todd Gloria told us how he took his temporary mayoral role (after Bob Filner's scandalous vacating of the position) to push forward an environmental agenda, including hiring Nicole Capretz and charging her with putting together a Climate Action Plan for the City of San Diego.  It was high time such an action was taken, and the audience demonstrated its approval.  There were four other speakers, I believe, though their names escape me at this moment.  The last speaker was a woman, Shawn Marshall, who is one of the founders of Marin Clean Energy.  She used to hold a government position, and in that position, she helped move Marin County forward in its adoption of clean, renewable energy providers.  It was heartening.
Before the start of the morning session, I ate several blueberries and a strawberry.  I also drank two cups of coffee, which kept me going, as the tea I'd been drinking with breakfast was red tea and therefore caffeine-free.  Between the fruit and yogurt that I'd eaten for breakfast and the coffee, I was pretty good all morning.  I still need to try a recipe for coffee with butter, though.  Yes, it sounds strange, but the person who published the recipe swears by it, as it keeps her energy level steady all morning and into the afternoon.  I'm not sure if I'd want to skip lunch, but if it allowed her to postpone lunch to get things done during her morning, all the more power to her, I say.
Of course, at the end of the morning, folks helped put things away.  Some people (including myself) were given packages of food to take home.  I was given about a half dozen assorted bagels:  whole wheat, plain, sesame, cranberry, and asiago cheese.  I brought the box home and put them on the kitchen counter for K to eat, as I'm still avoiding excessive carbohydrate consumption.
I walked to Park Boulevard and waited for a few minutes for the bus.  I then decided to walk to the nearest bus stop where the 20 bus goes, which was the one after City College on Eleventh Avenue.
On the ride home, I dozed several times, waking when we'd reached Fashion Valley, and again when we'd reached Kearny Mesa Transit Center.  I closed my eyes and rested them until we had reached the northeast corner of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (near the Carroll Canyon Road exit from the 15).  I managed to keep my eyes open until I got off the bus and walked the rest of the way home.
I made myself a frittata with shiitakes, a handful of fresh basil, and Danish feta cheese.  No additional seasonings were needed, as the feta made the frittata plenty salty and the basil provided a nice counterbalance to it.  Since then, I've been trying to think of things to bake (though we're really full-up on cookies right now).  I was thinking banana bread, since we have a bunch and a half and they're all perfectly ripe now, and are starting to become too ripe to eat.  Perfect baking bananas.  Since we already have the banana cookies we'd made last Sunday, K doesn't want to make more cookies.  What else can one make with ripe bananas?
I just found (another) recipe for banana bread, but this one is "paleo," meaning no wheat, but rather coconut flour, almond flour, and almond butter (though I think we'll substitute peanut butter this time).







Any ideas out there for banana recipes besides bread and Foster?

No comments:

Post a Comment