Friday, August 8, 2014

Air Hockey, Dance Dance Revolution, and Pool (the billiard-type)

Last night, I hosted a Meetup that started with dinner at an inexpensive sushi restaurant (I think about half of their business is take-out).  One young man joined us for dinner only, as he had another commitment later in the evening.  So that left four of us:  Kat, Peter, Doug, and me, to go to the bowling lanes that happened to be located in the same shopping center.  The first thing we did was take a stroll up and down the main hallway, in order to see anyone who had decided to skip dinner and just come for bowling.  Nobody appeared obviously looking for others to join their party.  I'd noticed a couple of pool tables in a room opposite the lanes along the hallway, and suggested that instead of bowling, we could shoot some pool.  The idea was well-accepted, and we went into what turned out was a small arcade.  There were video games lining two walls, and two pool tables at a wider end of the room opposite the entry desk where the employees stood to greet people as they came in.

Kat challenged me to a game of air hockey, and I accepted, remembering how much I loved that game because of its randomness, the click of the puck hitting the sides of the table, and the memory of having played well when I was (much) younger.  I started the game by knocking the puck into my own goal.  Kat and I laughed, and we continued play as Peter and Doug chatted and watched.  After Kat won our game, it was time to shoot some pool!

We decided to play at the table closer to the door because the other table had less clearance from the machines at one end of the room.  Peter said that I'd be his partner, so Kat and Doug played as a team.  Peter broke, and Kat played after him.  Then I took a shot, and then Doug took his turn.  We all shared one cue, as it appeared to be the only one that had an intact "bumper" at its business end.  Doug showed himself to be a very good player (Peter was good, Kat was pretty good, and I was lucky a couple times).  At one point, he'd cleared the table and so it was down to the 8 ball, and who would end up "sinking" it.  Peter took a shot, then Kat.  When my turn came, it looked like a pretty easy shot, though I was still wary, as I have had the experience of missing easy shots.

Kat wanted to play on the Dance machine, and I had enough for her to play on her own while the three adults watched and hung out.  After three perfectly stepped songs, the game was over.  Hmmm, I thought, bummer that she does not get to continue her game because she had a perfect score thus far.  Oh, well.

Doug loaned his copy of "Cowspiracy" to me to watch and/or make a copy, as I'd forgotten to being a blank dvd to give to him for making a copy.  Peter has such a device, so he will be able to make the copy.

It was not late when we left the shopping center, which was fine, as Doug was getting up early in the morning and Peter and I planned to go to the gym early as well.  It was a very nice evening spent, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment