Thursday, August 7, 2014

Baking a Green, Round, Organic Squash from Suzie's

We've had this squash (along with two smaller ones) sitting on the counter next to the teamaker (it's a Mr. Coffee, but I use it exclusively for tea, using my smaller coffeemaker for coffee) since Kat and I went to Suzie's Farm for a tour, about a month ago now.  I cut it in half and am baking it in a pan with about 1/4" water.  After it bakes through, I will scoop out the flesh and mash it with some butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, maybe a pinch of ground cloves, and brown sugar.  I think I may roast it again, with additional butter on top.  I'm considering adding some cream cheese to the mash to make it creamier, too.  We won't be eating it right away, though, because I'd made a makeshift frittata for breakfast this morning and Kat has not yet emerged from her room.

I was thinking about going to the gym today, but will wait until after the squash comes out of the oven, since I might want to give it time to cool a bit before scooping it out and mashing it.  The cream cheese is sitting out to soften.

I just noticed that I still have a few bricks of cream cheese in the fridge drawer.  I think they want to be turned into cheesecake...

But first, I'd bought a bunch of halved pecans from Sprouts, where they're on sale for about half price, with which I plan to make a pecan pie, with a typical corn syrup-egg custard.  I'll look up a recipe and write it down after I prepare it.  In the meantime, here is a recipe for what I call Lemon Whip, as the texture is unlike lemon curd, but the flavor is just as delicious:

Meyer Lemon Whip

Ingredients:
2 fresh, large Meyer lemons
6 oz. granulated sugar
3 large eggs, beaten

Method:
Zest lemons as completely as possible, then juice them, making sure to leave the seeds out, though a little bit of pulp is okay.

Place the juice, zest, and sugar into a double boiler and whisk it as it cooks over low heat until it thickens.  This can take a while, about fifteen minutes.

Pour whip into a clean glass jar and cool completely.

The whip will keep for about a week in the fridge if you have more self-control than Kat and I.

11:39a:
Forgot to add sugar, but mashed the squash with about 2 oz. cream cheese.  It's quite creamy now, baking in two soufflé dishes, in the toaster oven, getting ready for lunch.



1 comment:

  1. This old man should not have too much butter. Will margarine substitute into the squash recipe? Is there anything to replace the brown sugar, too?

    ReplyDelete