Monday, November 24, 2014

Four Days in Lieu of $400 Plus Administrative Fee

This morning, I went to the gym, as I like to on Monday mornings.  I stayed until just past 12 (I arrived a bit past 9, and started on the stationery bike and the hand-bicycle).  I did most of my mat exercises and stretching & rolling, then used just one machine, the Dual Cable Cross.  When I'd finished those seven exercises, I decided that I'd get cleaned up and ready to go, as I needed to catch two buses to the courthouse on Claremont Mesa Boulevard.

Though there was  queue for the check-in desk, I walked right into Courtroom A.

The commissioner was a slightly older man, probably in his late 50's or early 60's, from the look of him, and there were a few of us who were there.  A couple of attorneys were there, representing several clients each.  They moved through their cases pretty quickly. Other defendants pleaded guilty, though a couple of them were let off because the state neglected to schedule their trials within 45 days and therefore nulled their cases.

When the commissioner asked if anyone wanted to change their Not Guilty plea, one man stood up and went up to plead guilty.  He received a fine, something around $300, I think. He left the courtroom to the cashiers' room, which is where one goes to pay one's fine(s), makes payment arrangements, and/or gets instructions for community service.

When the commissioner asked if anyone else wanted to change their plea, I raised my hand and stepped up.  I said to him that when the light changed, I waited for the opposing traffic to pass, then made my turn, as I didn't want to sit through another light cycle and waste gas.  The commissioner said he understood not wanting to waste gas, but said there are other, overriding, factors that come in when driving.  He said that there could have been a cyclist, and I countered, saying that it's a well-lit overpass and I would have seen the cyclist had there been one.  He didn't go on with hypotheticals, but just said that it's a $400 fine.  I told him simply that I'll need to perform service.  He asked me my employment status.  After I told him that I'm living on Disability, he sentenced me to 4 days of physical labor.  He asked me if my disability would prevent me from performing physical tasks, and I answered that it depends on exactly how physical the task would be...

The commissioner said that there is an registration fee of $59.  I asked if I could work that off, as well.  At that point, he waived the fee.

I left the courthouse and walked down to the county services building complex, at the end of Overland Avenue.  The building that houses the work registration office is tucked back within the complex (from the point of view of approaching from Claremont Mesa Blvd), around the side of a large building.  In the office were several chairs, all facing the same way, away from the bank of windows through which I could see county employees, chatting and generally passing time.  I filled out paperwork, took a number (note:  I was the only person there), and sat down. When they finally got around to calling my number (government employees like to take their sweet-ass time, don't they?), I gave the woman behind one of the windows my paperwork.  She took them, then said she'd call me after she did some other stuff (presumably to do with my case).  I sat for several more minutes. She called me up and asked me to pick a day on which I can serve.  I said that Tuesdays were probably best for me.  She said that I can serve for four consecutive Tuesdays, and I told her that I might not make it to the last one, as I'll be out of town.  She told me that I can come for a maximum of two days per week. Then I would be done sooner.

I walked out, then took the street parallel to Claremont Mesa down to Ruffin Road, where I saw a bus stop across the street.  Just as I crossed, I saw the bus coming down the street, as if on cue.  I rode the bus to the intersection just before my condo, then walked the rest of the way home.

1 comment: