Wednesday, July 9, 2014

9 July 2014: 7:58a

I gave the OK for the auto body shop (Black Mountain Collision) to start work yesterday.  I ended up walking home, since I live not far from the shop (not quite a mile).  I walked first to Miramar Cash & Carry to buy some yogurt, and was pretty wet with sweat by the time I walked in the door at home.  I received a call from them yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon.  The fellow on the phone said that it's possible that it can be done this week, though it's more likely to go into next week, which is a shorter time frame than if I'd used "Honda-certified parts and service."  The cost difference is significant, as well:  $1800 v. $3000.  Since I'm already on a fairly tight budget, the reduced expense helps a lot.

Peter will be going on a business trip tomorrow (Thursday) morning, to San Jose, return Friday evening, then will be flying to London on Saturday evening for a long week (Saturday to the following Sunday).  It'll be very helpful to borrow his car, because although it's a two-seater (Mazda MX-5, the new name for the Miata, which I always thought was a very cute little car), it'll accommodate K and myself, for attending class on Friday night (since Liz is in NYC this week).  Peter will take a taxi to my place on Friday night, and I'll meet him in bed after coming home from class.  That gives me some breathing space for getting my car repaired properly.  Luckily, the headlight itself was undamaged, so that expense was deleted, though other expenses came in to fill in the gap, of course.  The rack-and-pinion needs to be fixed/adjusted so that the wheels are straight when the steering wheel is in its centered position.

BTW, we started sourdough starters in class last week, as I think I mentioned in the last post.  I no longer have a starter at home because it died at some point during the last several months since we stopped making a lot of (actually, any) bread at home.  Sourdough starters are really only practical when one makes bread regularly and frequently, and we're no longer in that mode, having adopted a low-carbohydrate diet for the most part.  That was the big joke:  here I am, following a modified "paleo" diet, one of whose tenets is avoiding processed (or really any) carbohydrates (mostly in the form of flour, but includes store-bought rice, oats, etc), and yet, I'm taking a cooking class, most of whose products will be carbohydrate-heavy.  Oh, well.  I still enjoy learning how to make things, even if I'm not enjoying them to a great extent myself.  I know K is enjoying the class, as well.

Fortunately, I'll be able to attend most, if not all, the class meetings because I don't plan on going anywhere until August, when Peter and I will go on our (dive) vacation to Kosrae.  I looked up the FSM (Federated States of Micronesia) after having a laugh from what Peter told me:  there is a "Bank of FSM" which we both find somewhat hilarious:  Bank of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!  Beautiful.  Will need to take a picture of that, if we come across it, during our travels.



No comments:

Post a Comment