Saturday, July 19, 2014

Danishes and Croisants

On Friday evening, our class was focused on forming laminated doughs.  Laminated dough sounds just like what it is:  layers in the dough.  The two examples we were given in class were danishes (which are apparently called danishes everywhere except Denmark) and croissants.  Both require the liberal use of flour (to prevent sticking), and copious amounts of butter ( to allow the dough to form layers between which are smears of fat - the butter - that prevented them from sticking and forming a single mass and loaf).

When we were signing up for groups, Kat and I started Group 3, as groups one and two already had five people each.  Others signed up for groups 4 and 5, meaning that Kat and I were our own group.  We had all the tasks to complete regardless of how the labor was supposed to be divided within each of the other groups.  We ended up being the last group to use the large stand mixer, which sits on the floor rather than on the countertop, to form the initial dough for the danishes.  We cut up and combined our four pounds of butter, then mixed in flour to help prevent sticking.  When the class went into the classroom, (there's a classroom "half" and a kitchen "half") to discuss the croissants, I poked my head in, but we were still working on our danish dough.  After the other groups came back into the kitchen, I consulted Kat, and we decided that we'd forego the croissants and just make the danishes.

Chef Lee Blackmore, the instructor, used our danish dough to demonstrate a couple of methods because we were ready with the danish dough earlier than other groups since they were working on the croissants as well.  Our dough finally went into the freezer after its second "turn," and we cleaned up.  We were done cleaning pretty early, even though we also helped to clean the whole kitchen at the end of class and not just our own workspace.  Liz's group finished later, and we left together, since we're carpooling.  First, we dropped off Somia (I'm not sure if that's the way it's spelled, but that's how it sounds, like Sonya but with an "m" instead of "n"), then returning to Liz & Chris's place, where Kat and I'd left our car for the evening.

Our class will finish turning our doughs on Monday.  Then we'll  rest them, shape and proof them, and finally bake them into danishes and croissants.  I learned later on Friday night that two of the other groups who attempted the croissant dough failed and so there are only two groups who actually have croissant doughs to bake come Monday.  Kat and I are thinking about what fillings to use in our danishes.  We were considering a fruit jam (like apricot) with cream cheese.  Or, I suggested, we could use a savory cheese, like a bleu.  Kat suggested ricotta.  I do like the idea of making different flavors of danishes, both sweet and savory, using the same dough.  We will need to decide by class on Monday, in case we need to bring filling ingredients with us.  Of course, any other students who decide to join our group will also be limited to danishes.

I hope that at some point in the future, I'll have the opportunity to make laminated dough again to form other pastries (I'd originally wanted to make croissants, but alas, we ran out of time this occurrence).

Something I learned was that the class actually finishes the day after Peter and I take our first flight on our way to Kosrae.  There will apparently be a final for the class, in which each team of students will be assigned a recipe to complete, and then will be graded on the success of their execution.  I'm actually a little sorry to miss the final exam, but I'm sure I'll be well-occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment