Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Costly Incident Just Prior to Independence Day

On Thursday, I'd gotten a massage, which felt really great, and then came home to have Kat raring to go to play games at Cafe Cabaret (on Adams Avenue in North Park).  So I threw my clothes back on, and we went to games.  Met a few new people through playing my first game of Munchkin (I'm still not completely sure of everything that is going on in the game, though I did a good job of preventing other players from defeating the monsters they encountered when they "kicked down the door."  It was fun.

Unfortunately, when we left, it was dark (as it eventually becomes when it gets late enough in the evening), and though I checked my mirror, a car came up just as I was pulling out of my parking space, causing the front left side of my car to sustain damage.  The damage is along the passenger side (obviously) of the other driver's car, a 1998 Honda Accord.  I checked with Kat to make sure she was all right, and then got out to check that the other driver, who was alone in her car, was all right.  We both apologized, as we had not seen each other around the corner of the block (understandable, I think).

We swapped insurance and registration information, and I drove home, being very careful and mindful of the steering wheel's off-center turn.  [Peter later told me that he thinks there's been damage to the rack-and-pinion, that I'll need to make sure that the teeth are unbroken on either piece]  We made it home, more slowly than usual.  [if a state trooper had spied us, they might have thought I was driving slowly because I was drunk and didn't want to get into an accident.]  When we got home, I took out my camera and snapped a few pictures of the damage.  I phoned my insurance company to report the accident.  The woman who took my claim was pleasant, and let me know that I will receive a phone call from the adjuster on Monday.  I will have physical therapy on Monday morning, and plan to take the car to a local auto repair shop to get an estimate of the repair.  I still plan to attend class that afternoon/evening with Liz and Kat.  I'm hoping to maintain as many regular activities as possible at this point.

I'm feeling quite poor right now.  I'd just bought a new bicycle (a hybrid bike from Specialized, for $700+), along with a bicycle carrying rack for my car (it mounts onto the spare tire on the back of the car, and I'm anxious to try it out soon, with all three of our bikes, if possible), as it was the cheaper option of that or getting a trailer-hitch bike rack, which may not extend far enough to miss the spare tire.

Next month, things will improve.  I won't receive my disability payment until mid-month, but I think I can push off my bills until after then to avoid paying any late fees, if at all possible.

I'm glad that Kat & I (especially I) will have the distraction of games this evening and tonight.  I managed to arrange getting lifts both going to and coming home form the event (from two different people whom I know from San Diego Boardgames Group).  So at least for now, I can put off my worries until Monday, when I'll go to get the car examined and a diagnosis made.

On another note, I noticed, during the parade on Friday morning, that everyone shouted "Happy Fourth of July!  Happy Fourth of July!" and wondered: Whatever happened to "Independence Day"?

No comments:

Post a Comment